ALH Group is committed to providing responsible gambling in our venues. We want to ensure that our hotels provide a safe and supportive environment, where our customers make informed decisions about gambling, and provide timely, appropriate assistance and information.
We have developed and distributed a responsible gambling pocket guide to every one of our gaming staff. ALH Group has a hotel and gaming charter that clearly demonstrates our commitment to responsible gambling.
ALH Group complies with, and seeks to exceed, all applicable responsible gambling legislative requirements in each state and participates in many state and local government gambling working groups to assist in identifying and developing appropriate responsible gambling initiatives.
ALH Group works with David Schwarz, a well-known former professional footballer and reformed problem gambler, as its Responsible Gambling Ambassador. David provides employee education and customer awareness about the importance of ‘asking for help if your gambling becomes a problem’ Most importantly, David is available for our staff to discuss any gambling problems they or their families and friends may be experiencing. ALH Group hotels’ operating standards are well in excess of legislative requirements.
To build on our existing commitment to be Australia’s most responsible operator of hotels, ALH Group is particularly focused on three areas: setting limits, staff education and training and partnerships Voluntary pre-commitment is a cornerstone of our responsible gambling plan moving forward.
Voluntary pre-commitment allows gamblers to set limits on how much time and money they spend on gaming machines.
ALH has VPC installed at all its mainland hotels. We are the only National hotel operator to offer VPC
Pre-commitment whilst a cornerstone of our responsible gambling plan gambling is one of a suite of measures we offer our customers including self-exclusion, promotion of gamblers help agencies etc.
A key focus is our e-learning module providing staff the skills to approach and interact with customers who may be indicating signs of problems with their gambling, and how our self-exclusion program operates.
We partner with agencies such as Gamblers’ Help in each state. We want ALH Group staff to learn from these agencies how best to promote the message of responsible gambling. We have established partnerships with The Salvation Army, gambling research experts and mental health organisations. This recognises that problem gambling is a complex issue and requires a multi-level approach.
This additional three point plan coupled with our Hotel and Gambling Charter and David Schwarz program will help us continue to be a leader in responsible gambling initiatives, and will ensure safer environments for all
Ethics In Practice
- ALH Group has initiated a Responsible Gambling Ambassador Program nationally. David Schwarz, who played 173 games for the Melbourne Football Club, and is a football commentator and media personality, fills this role. David has overcome a gambling problem, and ALH Group has worked with him to provide employee education and customer awareness about the importance of "being honest with yourself about your gambling."
- ALH Group does not participate in any campaign that might promote problem gambling.
Self Exclusion Programs
The key aim of Self Exclusion is to “To assist individuals who have decided to limit their access to gaming machines to implement that decision”
A self-exclusion program is a program offered to individuals who wish to voluntarily exclude themselves from one or more gaming venues. The common feature of self-exclusion programs across jurisdictions is an agreement by a person to certain obligations and the forgoing of some rights of the self-excluded person including
- Agreeing not to enter the gaming area and not to play gaming machines at the nominated venue(s) or not to enter the venue at all;
- Authorising staff to stop them from entering or remaining in a gaming area or a venue that they are excluded from;
- Authorising photographs and personal details to be taken and disseminated to relevant venues and for the venues to display the photographs;
- Acknowledging that nominated venues or their staff have no legal duty implied by the self-exclusion deed;
- Waiving the right to sue venues they have nominated to exclude from, their staff or the program administrator on the grounds of assault, defamation or failing in a duty of care to exclude;
- Accepting their personal responsibility to stay away.
Counselling and Support
If your gambling becomes a problem, please ask one of our staff for help or contact your free, independant and confidential state based counselling services by calling 1800 858 858 or visiting www.gamblinghelponline.org.au.
ALH Group Responsible Gambling Code of Conduct (Victorian Venues)
ALH Group is committed to providing the highest standards of customer care and responsible gambling. As part of this commitment we have made available the following documents.
- Responsible Gambling Code of Conduct (Victorian Venues) (English)
- Responsible Gambling Code of Conduct (Victorian Venues) (Italian)
- Responsible Gambling Code of Conduct (Victorian Venues) (Arabic)
- Responsible Gambling Code of Conduct (Victorian Venues) (Greek)
- Responsible Gambling Code of Conduct (Victorian Venues) (Spanish)
- Responsible Gambling Code of Conduct (Victorian Venues) (Simplified Chinese)
- Responsible Gambling Code of Conduct (Victorian Venues) (Traditional Chinese)
- Responsible Gambling Code of Conduct (Victorian Venues) (Turkish)
- Responsible Gambling Code of Conduct (Victorian Venues) (Vietnamese)
Responsible Gambling Customer Information (South Australian Venues)
For a copy of the responsible gambling information that is found in our hotels, please click on the links below. This information is also available in languages other than English.
Our South Australian customers are encouraged to see the problem gambling website for further gambling help resources in their state: www.problemgambling.sa.gov.au
You know the score. Stay in control. Gamble Responsibly.
PLAY YOUR WAY
YourPlay gives you the power to keep track of how much money and time you are spending as you play the pokies in venues across Victoria.
You can also use YourPlay to set limits on the money and time you spend on the pokies and you can set your own personal messages or reminders too.
When registering for YourPlay, ask a staff member at your local venue to add YourPlay to your Monty's Rewards card, so you can use both at the same time.
YourPlay is a free personal information system and it's completely confidential. For more information and to register visit yourplay.com.au or call 1300 838 031.